Here’s another piece of concept art done by Sean Cruz.
You can check out his other work on twitter here : @cruzdroid
The last two weeks were focused on adding (part of) the world lighting to Staxel. It does this by doing two phases of raycasting, first it throws 24 length rays, if they hit something before being 16 long it doesn’t contribute light and if its longer than 24 it contributes full light to the source. The second phase casts 8 long rays which also takes into account the coloring of the blocks the light bounces against. It will need many more tweaks in the future but for now i think it looks fine
As we enter a new month we have a new focus.
Things have been moving forward quite quickly and a lot has been implemented engine-wise.
Now we have quite a good foundation to start adding some new stuff! During the course of this month we will be adding a lot more content to the game and implementing some ideas we’ve had in mind. There’s a lot to put in and hopefully as we move ahead you will all get a more solid idea of what Staxel is all about.
We’re going to be adding divot ideas, new materials (such as flooring, walls and roofing.) and a ton more.
As usual you can catch us on the streams as we work and chat to us there, we look forward to showing you all some awesome new content!
Hey all, I was supposed to update the blog last week but things got a bit busy with setting up the site and forums.
I want to share with you some flowers which aren’t in game yet and also explain a bit how flowers will work.
Firstly I want to show you some of my personal favourites, delphinium and allium.
These flowers are a good example of the different colours each flower will have. I am trying to give each flower a variety of styles and hues so that once they grow in your world it will look really natural. For example, planting the same pink flower in a row will result in different sizes and hues of that particular colour. (At least, this is what I’m aiming for)
On another note, while I was streaming the other day I made some cacti mockups and a large flower heavily inspired by one of my favourite pokemon.
For all of you who missed the stream, I have some images here.
Thanks for reading!
I’ll be updating the blog with more soon!
Development of Starbound has sped up significantly recently because of the team moving to London, for me and my family this was not an option.
After two wild years of spending our savings, having our second baby and working all hours every day to get the game on Steam it is time for me to switch gears and spend more time with the family.
Thankfully Starbound is in good hands with the team at the Chuckle offices including new members such as Metadept who has already improved many components I originally worked on.
Starbound has been a wild ride, thank you all for coming along
- So long, and thanks for all the fish(axe)